Overtime buzzer beater beats Blue Hawks, 71-69

Overtime buzzer beater beats Blue Hawks, 71-69

DICKINSON, N.D. – An overtime buzzer beater for Montana State-Northern led to their 71-69 victory over Dickinson State on Saturday (Jan. 4), as Dickinson State fell to 6-9 overall and 1-2 in Frontier play.  

With 2:17 left to play in regulation junior center Mackenson Odenier battled in the paint and was able to tie the game at 62-62. Odenier would put the Blue Hawks up by two with 1:16 to play.  Northern drove down the court and Gabe Finley missed the initial shot, but got his own rebound.  Finley missed again and again got his own rebound.  His third shot also missed, but Corbin Pearson pulled in the board.  Pearson was fouled by Brock Boos and play halted.  With just nine seconds left Will Perry put up two to tie the game at 64-64.  Dickinson State head coach called a timeout and the Blue Hawks prepared for the inbound.  As time expiredTy Ackelson put up a last second shot that rang off the rim.

Roshawn West put the first points on the board in overtime before junior Tevin Russell tied it at 66-66.  Dickinson State would not be able to pull ahead in overtime, but tied it twice.  After Russell tied it up Pearson scored in the paint to give Northern a two point lead.  Pearson would also convert on a free-throw to make it 66-69.  With 2:09 remaining in the first overtime and a three point deficit Odenier went to the line for Dickinson State and converted one free throw to bring the Blue Hawks within two. 

Just 40 seconds later, Odenier tied the game with a shot in the paint.  Allan Brown took possession and turned it over to Dickinson State senior Robbie Morey, but Brock Booscouldn't convert off the turnover.  Ackelson would get the rebound and a scrum for the ball would come away in Northern's favor.  The Skylights would use a timeout with 10 seconds remaining to plan their approach. 

After the inbound Roshawn West would have his shot blocked by Mackenson Odenier with just seven seconds to play in overtime.  On the inbound Jesse Vaughan took control and put up a shot that missed, but Corbin Pearson snagged the rebound.  His shot missed and Vaughan grabbed the board with under a second remaining.  Vaughan threw a shot up in the paint as time expired and it would fall in, giving the Skylights a 71-69 victory.

Pearson tallied 18 points, a team high, for Northern.  Finley put up 13 points and Alfie Miller had 10.  Pearson also led the Lights with eight rebounds.  Northern finished with 23 rebounds, 11 assists, and a shooting percentage of 50.

The Blue Hawks were led by Tevin Russell who notched 23 points.  Odenier tallied 19 and junior DeSean Atkins picked up 10.  Ty Ackelson led Dickinson State with eight rebounds.  The Blue Hawks finished with 29 rebounds, 12 assists, three blocks, five steals, and a shooting percentage of 51.

Dickinson State will be back on the court on January 9, when they travel to Lewis-Clark State.  Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. MT.