Blue Hawks fall in last seconds to Hardrockers, 67-65

Blue Hawks fall in last seconds to Hardrockers, 67-65

Dickinson, ND – The Blue Hawks dropped a tight game to South Dakota School of Mines and Tech on Friday, November 1, 65-67.  Dickinson State is now 0-2, while Mines registered the game as an exhibition.

At the half, Dickinson State trailed 45-30.  A last second shot by Hardrockers' senior Michael Dietz gave his team a 15 point advantage.  In the second half the Blue Hawks would battle all the way back to within one with under a minute to go.   With 1:06 on the clock in the second half,Ty Ackelson nabbed a steal and drove down the court.  With the score at 61-65 in favor of the Hardrockers, Ackelson released a three that found net.  The Blue Hawks trailed 64-65.  The Hardrockers forced the Blue Hawks to intentionally foul and would add one point on a free throw from Lucas Nolan.  Down 64-66, Dickinson State drove down court again, following a timeout by head coach Ty Orton. 

Lucas Nolan stole the ball away from Tevin Russell, before immediately turning it over himself.  Andrew Rebol committed his third personal foul of the night with only one second left, which sent Isiah Thomas to the line.  Thomas made one of two shots, bringing the Blue Hawks within one.  Michael Dietz would add one free throw and the Hardrockers would go on to win 67-65.

Hardrockers' senior Lance Kilburn and junior Andrew Rebol tied for points with 17.  Senior Lucas Nolan had three steals.  Overall the Hardrockers tallied 32 rebounds, 15 steals, and shot 46% from the floor.

Senior Ty Ackelson led the way for the Blue Hawks with 14 points, followed by juniorTevin Russell who added 11.  Senior Robbie Morey added two steals, two rebounds, and six points.  Overall, the Blue Hawks had 35 rebounds, 14 steals, and shot 47.6% from the floor, including shooting 50% during the second half. 

Dickinson State will be back out on the court on November 3, in an exhibition game at Montana State-Bozeman. That game is slated to start at 1 p.m.