DICKINSON, ND- The Dickinson State University Women's Basketball team has jumped three spots from last week to #19 in the latest 2015 Women's Division II Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll.
Dickinson State won two home games this last weekend over Johnson & Wales and Trinity Bible. The Blue Hawks are now 8-2 on the season.
Top 25 Highlights
• With an undefeated season, (10-0) the Cougars of Saint Xavier take over the Top 25 Poll earning 10 out of the 12 first place votes and a total of 311 total points. Behind is Morningside (Iowa) with 300.
• No. 1 Morningside fell in the rankings this week after its first loss against then-receiving votes Northwestern (Iowa), 72-65. This breaks the streak of 15-consecutive No. 1 rankings for the Mustangs since the Dec. 2 poll last season.
• Goshen (Ind.) sees Top 25 action since failing to do so since the preseason poll in the 2004 – 05 season when it was ranked No. 18. The Maple Leafs started the season 10-0 with a win against then-No. 20 Saint Francis (Ind.), 85-61.
• The Great Plains Athletic Conference has the most teams appearing in the Top 25 Poll with six: Morningside, No. 3 Hastings (Neb.), No. 4 Briar Cliff (Iowa), No. 12 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.), No. 14 Concordia (Neb.) and No. 22 Northwestern (Iowa). The Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference is second with five teams representing.
• With an undefeated season (11-0), No. 17 Bryan (Tenn.) is the only team to represent the Appalachian Athletic Conference in the Top 25 Poll. The Lions haven't been ranked since the 2013 – 14 Dec. 10 poll (No. 25).
• Newcomers to the Top 25 Poll include, No. 22 Northwestern and No. 25 Lawrence Tech (Mich.) who missed the Top 25 after receiving votes last week.
• Six teams continue their season with a perfect record including: Saint Xavier (10-0), No. 3 Hastings (Neb.) (11-0), No. 10 St. Francis (9-0), No. 13 Southern Oregon (8-0), No. 17 Bryan (Tenn.) (11-0) and No. 25 Lawrence Tech (7-0).
• No. 14 Concordia falls five spots in the rankings after losing to then-No. 16 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.), 73-63. The Tigers move to the No. 12 ranking on the week after the win.
• No. 9 Indiana Wesleyan has the most No. 1 rankings in NAIA history with 33. Morningside is right behind with 24.
• Morningside has the most active Top 25 straight appearances with 116. College of the Ozarks (Mo.) is only seven behind with 109¬¬¬.
• College of the Ozarks (Mo.), Morningside and Saint Francis (Ind.) are the only teams to be ranked No. 1 for an entire season. College of the Ozarks in 2007-08 season, Morningside in 2008-09 and Saint Francis in 1999-2000.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes"
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015-16 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll (Dec. 8)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2014-15 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||2||Saint Xavier (Ill.) (10)||10-0||311|
|2||1||Morningside (Iowa) (2)||9-1||300|
|4||4||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||9-1||278|
|5||5||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||9-1||268|
|6||7||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||10-1||259|
|T10||13||St. Francis (Ill.)||9-0||213|
|12||16||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D)||10-1||206|
|15||14||Purdue Calumet (Ind.)||8-2||174|
|16||12||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||8-3||173|
|19||22||Dickinson State (N.D)||8-2||114|
|25||RV||Lawrence Tech (Mich.)||7-0||63|
Dropped from Top 25: Saint Francis (Ind.)
Other receiving votes: Milligan (Tenn.) 54, Kansas Wesleyan 52, Asbury (Ky.) 51, Indiana Northwest 48, Saint Francis (Ind.) 41, Point (Ga.) 29, Robert Morris (Ill.) 9, Friends (Kan.) 4, Oklahoma Wesleyan 3.
North Star Athletic Association
1. Jamestown (N.D.) (2-0 / 8-2)
2. Dickinson State (N.D.) (0-0 / 8-2)
3. Mayville State (N.D.) (1-0 / 5-4)
4. Valley City State (N.D.) (3-0 / 6-5)
5. Dakota State (S.D.) (1-0 / 7-4)
6. Presentation (S.D.) (2-0 / 5-3)
7. Waldorf (Iowa) (0-3 / 1-7)
8. Viterbo (Wis.) (0-6 / 1-9)