DICKINSON, ND- The Dickinson State Women's Basketball team has jumped three spots to #18 in the latest 2016 Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll.
The Blue Hawks finished their three game road trip 3-0 over the weekend with victories in Denver (CO) over Johnson & Wales and Northern New Mexico before traveling to La Crosse (WI) and defeating Viterbo University.
#18 Dickinson State is now 14-4 overall and 2-0 in the North Star Athletic Association.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dated back to 1991):
• After a 2-0 week, Morningside (Iowa) regains the top position receiving all 11 first place votes and a total of 281 points. The last two weeks the Mustangs have been ranked second behind Saint Xavier (Ill.)
• In the NAIA Game of the Week, previous No. 7 St. Francis (Ill.) took down then No. 1 Saint Xavier (Ill.) in a conference showdown that ended in the Fighting Saints coming back from a double-digit deficit to defeat the Cougars 73-61.
• The win against Saint Xavier moved St. Francis into a tie for second place in the Top 25 Poll.
• With a solid 2-0 week, No. 25 Friends (Kan.) sees Top 25 action after not being ranked since Feb. 3 of last season.
• Other newcomers include: No. 23 Indiana Wesleyan and No. 21 Goshen (Ind.).
• No. 13 Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) falls four rankings after a one-point loss to No. 16 Purdue Calumet (Ind.) (54-53) on Jan. 9.
• No. 10 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) continues its tear through the season averaging 110.8 points per game ranking them No. 1 in offensive points per game. The Tigers moved up four spots in this week's poll.
• No. 8 Southern Oregon is the only undefeated team (15-0).
• The Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) and Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) leads all leagues with five teams represented each.
• No. 11 Indiana Wesleyan (14-2) has the most No. 1 rankings in NAIA history with 33. Morningside is second with 25.
• Morningside holds the active streak of being ranked in the Top 25 (118). College of the Ozarks (Mo.) streak of 111-straight is second.
• College of the Ozarks (Mo.) (2007-08), Morningside (2008-09) and Saint Francis (Ind.) (1999-00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes"
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015-16 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll (Jan. 12)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||2||Morningside (Iowa) (11)||16||1||281|
|2||7||St. Francis (Ill.)||16||1||261|
|2||1||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||18||1||261|
|6||5||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||15||2||239|
|7||4||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||14||3||226|
|13||9||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||14||4||173|
|15||11||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||12||5||153|
|16||16||Purdue Calumet (Ind.)||14||4||152|
|18||21||Dickinson State (N.D.)||14||4||123|
|20||22||Lawrence Tech (MI)||12||1||102|
Dropped from the Top 25: Warner Pacific (Ore.) and Kansas Wesleyan
Receiving Votes: Warner Pacific (Ore.) 48, Kansas Wesleyan 41, Southeastern (Fla.) 38, Northwestern (Iowa) 36, St. Ambrose (Iowa) 28, Point (Ga.) 25, Oregon Tech 16, Bryan (Tenn.) 13, Mayville State (N.D.) 9