DICKINSON, ND- Saturday the Blue Hawk wrestling team hosted the Tyler Plummer Classic with 10 regional team competing. Two Blue Hawks, Mat Hruby (125) and Gresh Jones (133), maneuvered their way through the bracket and to the title.
Hruby, a freshman from Vacaville, California, cruised his way to the finals. In the finals Hruby faced off with University of Mary's Jeremy Leintz. Hruby controlled the match early, racking up points with near fall. Into the second period Hruby tallied enough points to finish, earing the championship.
Gresh Jones, a sophomore form Sidney, Montana, continued his strong wrestling from the night before into the Tyler Plummer Classic. Jones tallied a fall in his first match, but in the remaining matches he was forced to wrestle seven minutes. Jones proved to be too much for his opponents, earning decisions 6-3 and 9-3, on his way to claiming the belt buckle.
The Blue Hawks' success did not stop there, they had another 13 wrestlers finish inside the top six:
- Glen Anderson fifth place (125)
- Jamie Mullins second place (141)
- Tanner Borneman fourth place (141)
- Jacob Berg third place (149)
- Matt Carlson fifth place (149)
- Tanner Stone third place (157)
- Logan Wagoner fourth place (165)
- Caden Haugen fifth place (165)
- Devin Williams third place (174)
- Jason Zecchini fourth place (184)
- Payson Dirk second place (197)
- Rhyse Wandler sixth place (197)
- Cody Johnson third place (197)
Blue Hawk wrestling will continue January 19-20 at the Missouri Valley Invite. Their next home competition will be January 24 when they dual the University of Providence at 7:00.